GIS Specialist, GIS Instructor, Digital Cartographer. Firm understanding of GIS principles, functions, and limitations. Natural Teacher. Adept at clear communication between specialists and laymen. Practical, hands on experience managing long term projects. Strong design and map communication skills. Highly adaptive. Lifelong learner. Looking for opportunities to support and collaborate within academic and research based GIS use… using geospatial to explore, illuminate, and communicate.
- Over 6 years of experience using Geographic Information Systems and geospatial technology for instruction and research support in higher education
- Over 16 years of experience using GIS technology and geo spatial data in the production of publication maps
- Expertise with a broad range of geospatial and supporting software and hardware:
- The Esri GIS Software Ecosystem, including ArcGIS for Desktop, ArcScene, ArcGIS Online for Organizations, ArcGIS Pro, and Collector for ArcGIS.
- A variety of other commercial and open source GIS software including QGIS, Google Earth Pro, and LandSerf
- Consumer grade GPS Equipment and software, including Garmin, Trimble, Trimble Pathfinder, Collector for ArcGIS, Avenza PDF Maps, GPS BabelFE, and MacGPS Pro
- Expertise in various geospatial and non geospatial tools for cartographic design and visualization, including:
- Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Avenza MAPublisher, Natural Scene Designer, Terrain Texture Shader, and Terrain Sculptor
- Expertise in geo referencing and digitizing scanned cartographic materials, including historic maps
- Expertise in cartographic design for high quality publication as well as GIS and academic research
- Expertise in the administration and management of a GIS computer lab and accompanying software and hardware
- Expertise with geospatial analysis design and GIS project planning and support
- Expertise with mobile and field data collection using Android and iOS devices
- Expertise in the design, creation, and presentation of topic focused GIS workshops, lectures, and labs
- Experience with hiring, training, and managing student and part time staff
- Experience in the administration of enterprise GIS software and services in the academic environment
- Experience with geoprocessing automation and iteration via Model Builder and ArcPY
GIS Reference and Instruction Specialist, Stanford Geospatial Center, Stanford University, CA 9/2012-present
- Provide GIS training and project support to students and faculty through one-on-one consultations and group instruction
- Coordinate ongoing series of basic GIS workshops for new GIS users (Introduction to ArcGIS; GIS Data Creation)
- Assist with design and presentation of customized GIS workshops for specific disciplines or special topics (Thematic Cartography; Joins & Relates; GIS for History; Mobile Data Collection; GIS for Urban Studies; GIS and Hydrology)
- Design and present the Cartography lecture section for the Fundamentals of GIS class (ESYS 144 – Fall 2011 – 2014)
- Manage the software configuration and day-to-day operation of 9 computer SGC GIS lab and 21 laptop GIS teaching center,
- Act as the Expert Technology Partner between the SGC and University library IT group
- Hire, train and supervise hourly GIS staff in providing basic GIS services
- Co-manage Maps of Africa geo referencing project, exposing a number of historic maps for academic use
- Collaborate with various groups on campus for geospatial project support
Interim Geospatial Manager, Stanford Geospatial Center, Stanford University, CA 9/2014-1/2015
- Faculty outreach and classroom support for the SGC
- GIS Day 2014 event planning and coordination
- Hire, train and manage SGC staff
GIS Assistant, Branner Earth Sciences Library, Stanford University, CA 1/2011-9/2012
- Provided GIS training and project support to students and researchers through workshops and one-on-one consultations
- ArcGIS training, database and analysis design
- Led Introductory workshops on GIS concepts, functionality, data creation and management
- Managed photo geo-location and database development project for campus base map
GIS Specialist, EMPSi, San Francisco, CA 4/2012-8/2012
- GIS analysis related to EIS, RMP and EA studies depicting various options for impact or land use
- Created high quality cartographic output for environmental proposals and reports
GIS Technician, City of San Mateo, CA 4/2009-4/2012
- Supplied on-demand GIS and cartographic services across multiple city departments
- Developed emergency tactical maps, fire district maps, and PDF booklets for first responders
- Converted static City General Plan to digital GIS database
Cartographer & GIS Tech, Sacramento River Watershed Program, CA 10/2008-11/2010
- Created hydrology, land-use & vegetation maps for watershed ecology atlas of Sacramento River Basin
- Managed cartographic production in concert with SRWP project team
- Provided consultation and evaluation of GIS data and topics used in atlas visualizations
Cartographer, California State Automobile Association, CA 12/1999-8/2008
- Researched, compiled and created detailed CSAA road and recreation maps using Adobe Creative Suite
- Initiated department effort to geo-rectify existing maps for co-ordinate overlays
- Worked closely with outside agencies and organizations in collecting and verifying source material
Geography MA, San Jose State University, San Jose CA. Summer 2016 (emphasis in application of Geographic Information Science. courses in dynamic mapping, database design, remote sensing),
GIS Certificate, Foothill College, Los Altos CA, 2009.
Geography BA, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park CA, 1998 (emphasis in physical geography. courses in Geomorphology, Biogeography, Hydrology, Oceanography, Remote Sensing, GIS).
Maps in Overland Journal (2011 – present).
Maps in Carelton Watkins: The Stanford Albums (Cantor Arts Center, 2014).
Map in Gull Juju, Lukas Felzman (Lars Müller Publishers 2015).
Maps in Panda Nation: The Construction and Conservation of China’s Modern Icon, Songster, E. (Oxford University Press, 2018).
Co investigator “The Geographic Distribution of Pediatric Anesthesiologists Relative to the U.S. Pediatric Population“, Muffley, M. (Anesthesia & Analgesia 125(1):1 · December 2016).
- Maps and graphics in Understanding Ice: The James B. Case Memorial Symposium (David Rumsey Map Center, April 2018)
Projects, Course Support, and Service
- Managed reconfiguration of the Stanford Mass Shooting of America Database.
- Carleton Watkins Exhibit.
- Stanford EarthWorks.
- GIS and Cartography instructor, Spatial History 2017 (Luca Scholz).
- Cartography instructor, Fundamentals of GIS.
- Co host and organizer, GIS in Academic Libraries discussion group, Esri UC 2016.
- Foothill College Geospatial Technology Program advisory board member, 2015 – 2018.
- Manage 9 computer GIS lab, 21 computer GIS training center
- Oversee the coordination and presentation of between 30 – 40 yearly workshops
- Provided support for community of 900+ GIS users across campus
- Improved GIS training materials, more efficient workshop registration processes
- Converted us to digital delivery for ArcGIS software, less DVD waste, fewer printed instructions, less staff time spent handing out and registering DVDs